Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's Alright


I've always been fascinated with those that inspired.  Whether it be fashion designers, musicians, artists...  there has always been someone who provided the material for some of the most memorable and passionate work.  Of course to be this influential to genius artists, they often are eccentric, mysterious, passionate, and often tragic women that often have more interesting stories then the artist.  With this small series of posts on muses now and then I'll start off with an unknown to most, but someone who impacted the life of in my opinion the greatest artist of all time. Bob Dylan.

Suze Rotolo, Bob Dylan's girlfriend in the 60's, who recently died and is remembered in Rolling Stones February issue. Check it out at www.rollingstone.com/music/news/suze-rotolo-bob-dylans-girlfriend.com. Their love ended as most rock memoirs, she left him and traveled to Europe, which inspired "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right".  They reconnected at the jumping off point of his career until he found another girl to write music about.  She went on to lead a semi normal life in New York, remaining silent for years on her relationship, She ended up writing a memoir late, A Freewheelin' Time: A Memoir of Greenwich Village in the Sixties.  Surprisingly this is the only book written about Bob Dylan I haven't gotten to, that will change this week as I'm downloading it as I'm typing...


"I gave her my heart, but she wanted my soul"


photo credit Don Hunstein, fanpix, 

1 comment: